Friday, May 11, 2012

Need Encouragement?

Weight. Fat. Scales. Mirrors.
Answer: Words I don't like.

My entire life has been a roller coaster with my weight. Far to many times have I set goals for myself that continually failed, gotten discouraged and end up gaining all {if not more} of the weight I just lost, right back. Sound familiar to anyone?

I ran across Jordann's weight loss journey and its really encouraged me again to get my hand out of the cookie jar, get off my behind and back doing something active. She's here today to share her story. Take it away Jordann!
Photobucket
Hello Our Reflection readers! My name is Jordann and I blog over at Makin Memories of Us. I’ve been married to a firefighter for over 3 years now, and he just so happens to be my high school sweetheart. We have one fur baby, Duke who I may or may not consider my child and treat him like such.
When I'm not blogging about what our little family is getting into, I'm blogging about diy/crafts, recipes, family, etc. Another part of my blog is health and fitness, which is what I'm here to talk about today. {Please keep in mind that I'm not certified in nutrition, personal training, etc. but I've done a lot of research. I post what's worked best for my body which might not be the same for all.}
In 2011, I lost 35 pounds (you can read my full weight loss journey here). It was one of the hardest things I’ve done but also one of the best things I could have ever done for myself. I was unhealthy and knew if I continued, I’d be cutting YEARS off of my life. The hardest part was just getting started, even just getting motivated to start was hard. I'm guilty of doing the whole "I'm gonna lose this amount of weight" New Year's Resolution then two months in, diet and workouts are out the window. It’s easy to keep putting it off by saying, “Oh today’s the last day I can eat bad and not work out..” then you say it the next day and the next, and so on and so forth. Once you’ve gotten into a routine (whether it’s healthy or not), it’s hard to break it. It’s a mental thing. Word of advice - make small goals. Don't say "I plan on losing 20 pounds this year." That can be overwhelming and you can get easily discouraged. It's a great long term goal, but make a few short term goals as well. Examples: "This week the family will only eat out once."; "I'll go to the gym four times this week"; "I want to lose 3 pounds by next Saturday."

I know the gym can be intimidating. You first walk in and you see all these guys and girls in phenomenal shape working their way around like they own the place while you sit at a machine in the corner praying no one is watching you make a fool of yourself workout. I hated going to the gym at first until I realized, all eyes aren’t on me. Most people could care less about what you’re doing, they’re doing their own thing. They had to start somewhere, just like you. Eventually the gym becomes a place you enjoy going to because every time you walk in, you have a chance to better yourself, make yourself stronger and healthier. If you don’t want or can’t afford a gym membership, go walk or run outside. I love taking my dog for a run and just clearing my head. You can take your spouse, friend, dog, kids, etc. Get the family involved to be more active. What a great way to make some memories - going for nice, family walks outside (and if you do have kids, a great way for them to get out some energy!).
 
 
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

So what do you think? Encouraged?
I'm thinking I need to stop typing and jump on my bike!
See you on the trails.


Are you getting your home photo's ready?
To learn more about There's No Place Like Home Link Up click HERE.

4 comments:

  1. Super inspiring! Thanks for sharing :)

    Www.studentswife.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm currently on my first month of trying to lose weight. It's really hard but I do believe to start little by little, soon I will reach my goal. :) Thanks for this. Really inspiring. ♥

    http://theinstyler.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Good for you. I often write on my blog about trying to lose weight after having babies. I have 40 to lose, and need to do it before we start working on another baby!! Headed over to read your story right now!

    Shaping Up To Be A Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very inspiring! Good for you. I very much agree on taking small steps and never set that as your resolution, it never happens!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...